Meadow Wood Farms is not without our own small role in Florida history. The first occupants of Meadow Wood Farms were the Seminole Indians, sent to reservations in the Ocala area by the United States government after Florida became a United States territory in 1822.
General Zachary Taylor, later our 12th President, commanded Fort King, Fort Hook (located on what is now Needles Drive) and Camp Izard on the Withlacoochee River southwest of Meadow Wood Farms. A network of state roads brought additional settlement, and Fellowship Baptist Church was built in 1844 followed by St. John’s United Methodist Church in 1852.The local settlers grew cotton, giving a name to the “hamlet” of Cotton Plant, located near the present intersection of SR40 and CR328.
In the early 1930s, phosphate was mined in Meadow Wood Farms, evidenced by the phosphate pits and piles of rock found on some of the properties. Mining gave way to the grazing of beef cattle when the phosphate proved to be of poor quality and too expensive to extract. In 1971, Meadow Wood Farms was developed into essentially the same configuration we see today, with home sites ranging from 1.25 to 8 acres in size.